Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The power of music

I have new music on the blog...I LOVE music.  I can listen to almost anything, my tastes are very ecclectic.  I love 70's (my decade, lol), love 80's, love old country, just everything.  On my ipod I have so many different artists:Johnny Cash, ELO, Seether, Glen Miller, Justin Timberlake, Merle Haggard, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Journey, STYX, INXS, Glen Cambell, AC/DC...so many others...I love rock...music that can make me move and scream at the top of my lungs.  I love country...where I can sing and cry a little.  I love rap...where I can just laugh cause I can't keep up with the words.  I love big bands where I can just listen and imagine another world.  What I love the most are the 80's arena bands.  Especially STYX!!!  God, I played Cornerstone and Paradise Theater until the grooves on the records were run down.  (YES...I said RECORDS!!!)
When I start looking for music to download, I always think of STYX.  When Paradise Theater came out, I was starting my first year of high school.  At the 1st pep rally, the cheerleaders danced to Best Of Times.  I can't tell you how much I loved this abulm.  My sister, Denise was about 8 at the time.  She HATED this abulm.  We had to share a bedroom and since I was the oldest, the record player was MY possesion.  I played this record 10 times a night.  When my parents weren't home??  FULL BLAST!  Let's just say that we fought about that record all the time.  She even tried to throw it away one time...
Fast-forward about 15 years.  I was at Fullerton spending a Sunday afternoon visiting and my Mom decided she wanted some KFC.  Denise and myself volunteered to go get it and we went in her van.  We are driving down the street and I start looking at her cd collection.  She had the usual stuff that she liked, some rap, some christian rock, a couple of movie soundtracks...and there in the very back of the cd wallet...Paradise Theater by STYX!!!  I couldn't believe it.  When I asked her about it, she said simply,"I grew to like it because you liked it so much..."  Believe it or not, that is one of my best memories of us.  It amazed me that I had influenced her taste in music in some small way.  When she passed, that was one of things I had to have, her cd of Paradise Theater.  When I play it now, I feel a special connection to her.  That is the power of music.  It transforms you to another time or place, bringing back memories that are so special.

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Evelyn! Love stories about sisters are the best. I'd like to think when you play this album Denise is listening with you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you and I have a lot of the same music in common. What a sweet and wonderful story about your sister.

    Have you tried Pandora Radio on the internet? Jamie is also using something called Slacker Radio on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...all thoughts and critiques are welcome...xoxoxo