Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Family

I miss them so much.  Sometimes the sadness just overwelms me.  There are so many things I didn't know...so many things I didn't say...so many things I wish I could change. 
The good thing to come out of this is I've been in touch with my aunts...something I should have done long ago.  Aunt Wilma is so sweet, ends every sentance with "dear".  She sounds so frail on the phone.  She was Daddy's older sister.  Hazel is younger and a pistol!!  She lived in New Orleans until Katrina, then she moved to Kentucky.  She can't walk anymore, but I swear she's gonna outlive us all!!!
I was talking to Hazel the other day as I was looking for paperwork at my Dad's house, and she told me to be on the lookout for a set of milk glass bowls.  She said that when my Grandmother passed (his Mom), she made sure that Daddy got this set of bowls because Daddy had won this set of bowls from carnivals that would come into town.  He played the "toss a coin into the bowl" game.  The one where you toss a coin and if it lands in a bowl or on a plate, you get the dish.  When Daddy was small, they were POOR!!!  The kids would pick up coke bottles and such to earn money to go to the local carnival when it was in town.  My Daddy kept playing this game until he had the whole set.  To me, it just speaks loads about his determination.  He kept that his whole life.  I think that is one of the reasons he held on for so long at the hospital...pure determination...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...all thoughts and critiques are welcome...xoxoxo