Thursday, August 07, 2008

My Mother

My Mother was a stay at home mom. My Dad worked 2 jobs so she could take care of me and Denise. He said that his job was to make the money and her job was to raise the kids. She was OK with that. I know that if it had been neccesary, she would have worked outside the home. We were lucky that it never was.

I remember coming home from school and knowing what we were going to have for dinner cause it was already cooking. I remember her breaking popcicles in half, one for me, one for Denise. I remember her sitting at the sewing machine, hours at a time, making me and Denise all new clothes for school. I remember Christmas, her favorite holiday, baking and baking for days to be able to make cookie trays for all the neighbors and family. I remember her letting me brush her hair while we watched tv. I remember her going to my Grandmother's twice a week, every week, walking, to clean her house and make sure she was OK. I remember her letting me take over the patio for Barbie world in the summer. I remember the *this hurts me more than it hurts you* speech before getting a spanking. I remember her telling me to look after my little sister cause in the end we would only have each other.

My Mother is dying. She has worked hard and deserves a rest. The adult in me knows it is time. The litle girl in me is screaming don't leave me alone!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:45 AM

    Beautifully written. I hope the passage is a peaceful as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...all thoughts and critiques are welcome...xoxoxo