Monday, July 23, 2007

mashed cauliflower

Call me crazy, but mashed cauliflower is my new favorite food. Being on the South Beach Diet, one of the favorite things to do is to find substitutes for old favorites like pancakes, chessecake and mashed potaoes.
I first tried the mashed cauliflower about 6 months ago. I didn't like it. I was amazed people actually ate this. A couple of tips. 1~use fresh frozen cauliflower. The cauliflower I used was circa 1998. VERY bad. 2~steam, rather than boil, the cauliflower. 3~use plenty of "I can't believe it's not butter." Use fresh butter, not the stick that has been sitting next to the raw onion for 2 weeks.
I tried it again last week, using these tips. It is very good. Now mind you, it will NEVER take the place of mashed potatoes, the texture is just not the same, but it is very tasty. I made some more tonight, ate it with a chicken breast. With my stomach playing games with me, I have been sticking to soft, non spicy foods. I better lose some weight from all this mess!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try that. I have had cauliflower soup before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a recipe for cauliflower where you roast it in the oven. I have to be honest, I really hate cauliflower and brussel sprouts because I had to eat it (and in my house, it meant you can eat right away or sit there all night and eat it cold).

    If you go to google and type cauliflower, roast, I'm sure the recipe will pop up.

    That was really nice of you to do the cookout for your mom; I hope it cheered her up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:19 PM

    aww, baby.. i am sorry you have that nasty peptic stuff.. but damn if mashed cauliflower doesn't sound delish!

    and cauliflower is good for you!

    "Cauliflower is a vegetable that is many times overlooked. It is a member of the cruciferous family, a family which is known for containing nutrients that fight against several diseases."

    http://papa.essortment.com/cauliflowernut_rwuv.htm

    huggs,
    -j

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...all thoughts and critiques are welcome...xoxoxo