Thursday, July 05, 2007

going with the flow...


What is it about the word diet that freaks me out so much? A couple of weeks ago, I thought I had had a break thru in my thinking. "What nurishes me also destroys me". That was a POWERFUL statement and I took it to heart. I decided then and there that I was going to get my butt in gear and do what was neccesary to loss this weight once and for all. I bought healthy food, I exercised, I chanted my mantra faithfully throughout the day. "What nurishes me also destroys me". I felt better, my legs weren't swollen, I didn't have the usual headaches, I was more energized. Then the dreaded diet word. A co-worker..."Oh, your DIET must be working, I can tell you've lost some weight." UUUGGGHHH!!!
Now I am starting the same old patterns. Eating what is easy VS. what is good. No exercise. Eating ice cream (It was a reward at work), Cake (an employee was leaving), chips (it's Ok this one time), regular soda (No one put the diet in the fridge to get cold), and the kicker of all kickers, the breakfast I ate this morning. From a local fastfood joint. a 3 egg ham and cheese omelet, hash brown potatoes, bisquits and country gravy, and OJ. My reasoning for this? If I don't give into the craving, I will eat much worse later on. I feel like a stuffed pig.
How do I train my brain to ignore the DIET word? When I was eating healthy, I really had no desire for the crap. It was my descion to eat the good stuff. Put the DIET word in there and I have no choice. I am doomed to a life of lettuce and shredded wheat for the rest of my life and I rebel.
So now what? I pick myself up, dust myself off, and keep going. Hopefully, learn something from this. Just go with the flow. I am not on a DIET, I am on a life changing journey.
(The picture is of Niagra Falls, Canada.)

3 comments:

  1. It's weird how compliments send us to food isn't it? Or the words "diet" and "successful".

    I thought that was a pretty good post you wrote back a couple of weeks ago after reading the parade magazine with Angelina Jolie on it and adopting that "mantra".

    You had a few slip-ups, but you can turn it around. I don't see anything wrong with having a small slice of cake with co-workers - it is easier and it seems if you refuse a piece, you draw more attention to yourself. Weird.

    Did you write out your mantra and post it where you can see it - maybe carry a card with you in your purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I did actually write it out and put it in my purse. I think I might have to tattoo it to my forehead, backwards, of course, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:08 AM

    E - one thing that really helps me when people talk about diets is.. its just a word.. and it's gotten a bad wrap.


    a diet is how we eat regardless of whether it is geared toward loosing weight or not.

    you've heard. "he has a poor diet" or "lives on a diet of berries and roots"

    see. it's just a word about how we eat in general, not a specific toward weight loss.

    anyway.. looking at the word this way helps me not get in such a tither over jenny craig or cabbage soup.

    huggs, baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...all thoughts and critiques are welcome...xoxoxo